Harper’s Weekly, March 6, 1886, page 155 (Illustrated Article)
A deliberate and determined effort—an effort, too, without immediate provocation—was made on Sunday, February 7, to expel the Chinese from the town of Seattle, Washington Territory. By a preconcerted plan, of which neither the law-abiding citizens of the town nor the Chinamen had a hint, a mob invaded the Chinese quarter late Saturday night, forcibly but quietly entered the houses, dragged the occupants from their beds, forced them quickly to pack their personal effects, and marched them to a steamer. The mob was thoughtful enough to provide wagons to convey the baggage of its victims. Some had money enough to pay their fare to San Francisco, and many did not, but the mob made no distinction. The few policemen that became aware of the wrong-doing had no power and slight willingness to prevent it, and before the sleeping citizens of the town or the county officers knew what was going on, 400 Chinamen were shivering on the dock. The Sheriff ordered the mob to disperse, but the only result of his order was a hastening of the work of expulsion. The captain of the steam-ship admitted all the Chinamen who had bought tickets, but refused to allow the others to go on board. He armed his crew and attached hose to his boilers, and thus assumed the defensive. Not more than 80 of the 400 Chinamen purchased tickets and safety.

The Anti-Chinese Riot At
Seattle, Washington Territory
March 6, 1886,  page 157

Murderers Stop At Nothing
March 20, 1886, page 183

Early Sunday morning Governor Squire issued a proclamation ordering the mob to disperse, but it resolutely kept its victims on the dock until a large part of the law-abiding citizens were sworn as deputies and special policemen, and provided to protect the Chinamen from violence, and to disperse the mob. The mob threatened defiance, but was scattered, and the dock was guarded the rest of the day and all night. Meanwhile, Judge Green, of the United States Court, enjoined the captain of the steamboat from sailing, and ordered him to produce the Chinamen who had gone on board in court the next morning, to ascertain whether they had been deprived of liberty. It was hoped that the mob’s purpose had been frustrated, and that it would not again assemble.
The next morning, guarded by two companies of militia, all the Chinamen were marched from the dock and the boat to the court-house, where every one was asked by the judge whether he wished to remain. Most of those who had bought tickets decided to go to San Francisco, and they were escorted back to the steamer. The rest were ordered to return to their quarters under guard of one company of militia. Then the mob, which was vigorously led, reassembled, 2000 strong, became infuriated at the sight of their victims returning to their homes, and made an attack on the militia. In the fight that followed, one man was killed and four were wounded. The militia was reŽnforced, the mob became more furious, and the struggle continued for an hour. No other violence was done, but for the four following days and nights the citizens kept guard, and the town, all business interrupted, was in fear of another attack. On Tuesday President Cleveland issued a proclamation ordering all persons in the Territory assembled for unlawful purposes to disperse, and United States troops were sent to Seattle. When Brigadier-General Gibbon arrived on Thursday, order had been restored and kept, but at the cost of continued watchfulness by the militia and citizens. Nearly 200 of the Chinamen had gone away, and the rest were living under the protection of the recruited police. The town was patrolled night and day for a week, and the troops were kept in readiness to attack the mob if it should again be formed. Several leaders had been arrested, meetings of all kinds were forbidden except by permission of the brigadier-general. Notice was given to the idle to seek employment or to leave the town, and the riotous element has, for the time being at least, gone elsewhere. Descriptions of suspicious persons have been put on record for reference in case they return.
The experience of Seattle has caused the other towns in Washington Territory and in Oregon to make preparations against attempts at violence. But since the disgraceful butchery of Chinese in Wyoming several months ago the anti-Chinese feeling in the extreme Northwest has become more violent and more nearly universal. An "Anti-Chinese Congress" has been held at Portland, which adopted a resolution calling upon the people in every town in the Northwest "peaceably to assemble and politely request the Mongolian race to remove"—a resolution that is a trifle less polite than it seems to be, since it follows a declaration that the Chinese are "immoral and degraded and a constant menace to free institutions, to the home, and the family." In obedience to this resolution several meetings were held on February 22. The experience of Seattle, therefore, may at any time be repeated at other towns.
Harper’s Weekly, March 6, 1886, page 155 (Illustrated Article)

This site is brought to you by…
Website and all Content © 1998-1999 HarpWeek, LLC
Please report problems to